9.04.2008

my hair stood on end

we woke up to THIS in the middle of the night!

nearly scares you...
rocks you...
shocks you...
right out of your undies!

wildlife...
coyotes to be exact!
They were really close last night...
right down in the valley next to our house!
It's like a siren when they howl...
LOUD!
Surprisingly louder than I expected!
Does it sound like a baby crying to you?

Made me check on the little angels...



The howling didn't seem to bother them!

Our Gretel went nuts...
good golly... we begged her to hush...
didn't want them to hear her &
wait for her to head out in the morning!
yikes!

So... tell me... all you desert gals...
I'm new to this desert thing...
do the squealing coyotes rattle you too?

9 comments:

melissa ellen parker said...

I'm no desert girl...but that sounds scary! I would be rattled. I remember as a kid I was always scared of wolves...I'd actually hear them howling at night...in my head :)

Gretel can take those KEYEYOATS any day. Yes, I know its spelled coyotes...but I call them KEYEYOATS :)

Simply Me... said...

Yikes, is right what a coyote ?

Lanny :o)

Simply Me... said...

LOL... did I have you going? I'm a city girl :o)

Me again!

Carin said...

that picture of your girl is PRECIOUS....can't imagine waking up to coyotes!!

Gordostyle said...

No way! For real? I've NEVER sounds like that in my entire life! Oh and get this - as I was listening, my dogs were going bizzerck!

Hope you get some sleep tonight!
Sweet dreams,
Jen

Cheryl said...

Ooo man, that sounded like a baby coyote to me. When I use to live deep south Texas (the Rio Grande Valley to be exact), we would hear them all the time.

Gini said...

Ok, Carissa - I have to say "no" the howling doesn't bother us. What does bother us is the quiet, non-existent sound of a scorpion. Yikes!

heather b said...

we have far too much development here in the Indianapolis area for wildlife to keep giving up their homes. so unfortunately, we had two small dogs lost to coyotes in our neighborhood in the middle of Indiana!!! I see them frequently in a field at dusk behind our neighborhood. They keep losing their homes/food to new shopping malls/development so it drives them to this type of behaviour. they are scary little rascals......very "wiley"!! They are quite afraid of humans but watch out for that sweet little honey head doggie of yours....

Gypsy at Heart said...

What a gorgeous photo. Little angel indeed.